Quick, healthy, and delicious! Yuzu foil fish is not only easy to make, but it’s a hearty meal packed with rich flavour. Simply toss in vegetables and fish in aluminum foil, steam it in a fry-pan for 10 minutes, and voilà! You have an umami-rich fish and mushroom dish cooked in a buttery sauce. Top it off with soy sauce and Japanese yuzu citrus for a refreshing, zesty finish!
Yuzu foil fish is a Japanese home-style dish. Its main ingredients are cod (or salmon), enoki mushrooms, carrots, and onions. Add a spoon of butter and seal it in aluminum foil to cook! Once it's done, season it with yuzu zest and soy sauce to bring all the flavours together.
What makes this recipe great:
1. Simple, healthy, and versatile
This dish is great for busy weekdays. It incorporates nutritious vegetables, protein, and sauce in one flavourful packet, and it can be prepped in under 10 minutes! This recipe is great on its own, but you can easily rearrange it using your favourite vegetables as well.
2. Aluminum foil makes fish tender and flavourful
Aluminum foil keeps in moisture and allows the fish to soak up all the buttery, aromatic flavours. This is especially great for cod and salmon as it prevents it from becoming too dry and flaky. The result is a super tender and tasty fish that melts in your mouth! It also makes cleaning the dishes simple as the ingredients are kept in tin foil.
What is Japanese Yuzu Fruit?
Yuzu is a tangy citrus fruit originating in East Asia. It’s not commonly eaten on its own due to its vibrant and tart flavour. However, its aromatic, floral taste makes it a staple ingredient in Japanese cooking. As such, you can find yuzu in savoury meals, desserts, drinks, and sauces! Its versatility makes for a great addition to the kitchen when elevating dishes at home.
- 250g cod (or salmon) (2 pieces)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp sake
- 30g onion (thinly sliced)
- 60g enoki mushrooms (ends cutoff and loosely separated. Can also substitute with your favorite mushrooms)
- 10g carrots (peeled and cut into 5mm thick half moons)
- Soy sauce* (to taste)
- Yuzu zest powder (to taste)
- Salt and pepper the cod and place each piece in the middle of its own sheet of aluminum foil. Top each with half the butter and half the sake. Split the onions, mushrooms and carrots on top of each piece of fish and wrap the aluminum foil to create two packages with sealed edges.
- Put 1cm of water in a frying pan and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the two foil wrapped packages of fish and vegetables into the pan and cover. Steam on low heat for 10 mins.
- Unwrap and lightly season with soy sauce and yuzu zest powder just before serving.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package
Introduction courtesy of Tiffany Furukawa
Tiffany spent her childhood exploring Japanese food in the suburbs of Tokyo and helping her Obaachan (grandmother) in the kitchen. These experiences nurtured her passion for food and she is now studying environmental sustainability and food sciences at university. In her free time, Tiffany loves discovering hidden restaurants in Japan, trying out new recipes in the kitchen, and going on runs!