This recipe adds traditional Japanese flavors to umami-rich wood ear mushrooms and makes for a great earthy topping on noodles, rice, salads, and stir fries.
- 5g Dried Wood Ear Mushrooms
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2~3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp sake
- 1 tsp ra-yu (or regular sesame oil)
- 2 tsp ground sesame seeds
- Dissolve a pinch of sugar in lukewarm water in a bowl and rehydrate the Wood Ear Mushrooms (takes about 40-60 mins).
- Squeeze out the water from the rehydrated mushrooms and finely julienne. Combine with the sugar, soy sauce, mirin and sake.
- Put the Wood Ear Mushrooms from step 2 in a frying pan on medium heat and stir fry with the ra-yu (or sesame oil) until there's no moisture left in the pan.
- Mix in the ground sesame seeds to finish.