This onion and ginger snack is the perfect treat to enjoy as you picnic under the springtime trees in Japan.
- 3 tbsp organic ume vinegar pickled ginger
- 200g onions (thinly sliced)
- 4 tbsp flour (2 tbsp + 2 tbsp)
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Oil for frying
- Optional: Dash of shichimi togarashi* (Japanese seven spice blend) or ponzu sauce for dipping
- Finely chop theOrganic Ume Vinegar Pickled Ginger and mix in a bowl with the onions. Add 2 tbsp of flour and a dash of salt and mix.
- Separately, mix the remaining flour, potato starch and cold water. Combine this with the ginger and onions from step 1, making sure the ginger and onions are properly coated.
- In a pan, heat the oil to 180°C. Place about ⅙ of the mixture from step 1 on a wooden spatula and slide it into the oil. Add the rest of the mixture in the same way and fry for 3 mins. Turn over and fry the other side for another 3 mins. Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot with a dash of shichimi togarashi or with a ponzu dipping sauce if desired.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package