Spinach ohitashi is a simple Japanese side dish that combines flavors from the earth and sea: blanched spinach steeped inkatsuobushi (dried flakes of skipjack tuna/bonito)dashi.
- 200g (1 bunch) spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbspkatsuobushi dashi
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Katsuobushi (desired amount)
- Cut off the roots of the spinach if attached and make a cross-shaped cut at the base of the thick shaft. Wash in a bowl of water and drain.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add the spinach starting from its base and boil for about about 1½ to 2 mins then drain.
- Gather the spinach by the roots and wring out the water. Align and cut into 3-4cm pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the dashi and soy sauce. Add ⅓ of this mixture to the spinach, mix and then squeeze out the liquid. This adds flavor to the spinach and prevents it from getting soggy.
- Add the rest of the dashi and soy sauce mixture from step 4 to the spinach and let sit for a while to let the flavors blend.
- Place in a small bowl and top with katsuobushi.