Meat covered dashi onigiri (rice balls) are a delicious snack on the go that can be enjoyed on their own or as part of a bento. Our Natural Multi-Umami Dashi adds extra umami to the onigiri which are made by covering rice in meat and cooking them in a sweet and savory sauce.
Servings: 8-10 rice balls
- 2 Japanese cups/1.5 US cups uncooked rice (300g)
- 1 packageNatural Multi-Umami Dashi*
- Pinch ofsalt*
- 200-300g thinly sliced beef or pork
- ½ Tbsp oil
- 4-5 Tbspyakiniku sauce* orteriyaki sauce* or 2 Tbsp each ofsoy sauce*,mirin* and sake
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the rice and cook in a rice cooker/on the stove top as per usual but add the dashi powder to the water before cooking. Once cooked, add a pinch of salt and mix thoroughly.
- Roll the cooked rice into balls and wrap in the beef or pork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and evenly brown the surface of the meat covered rice balls.
- Add the sauce and boil it down while coating the meat balls. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste and enjoy.
*Available for single item purchase at ourMarket: Michi no Eki