You may be surprised to find out that potato salad is a popular home-cooked dish in Japan. Different than in the west, the Japanese version includes creamy, smooth potatoes mixed with crunchy vegetables mixed in a mayonnaise dressing. In this recipe, we add real wasabi which adds a mellow slightly sweet yet spicy kick.
- 2 potatoes
- ⅓ carrot
- ⅓ cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wasabi
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the potatoes and place them in a pot without peeling them. Cover them with water and bring to a boil.
- The potatoes will be ready when they are easily pierced with a bamboo skewer.
- While still hot, peel the potatoes and mash them with the help of a fork or a potato masher until they get smooth. Set aside.
- Peel the carrots, and together with the cucumber cut them into thin slices (around 2 mm of thickness).
- Cut the avocado lengthwise, remove the pit and dice the flash.
- In a big bowl, add the mashed potatoes, sliced carrots, cucumber and avocado cubes. Mix and while the potatoes are still a bit warm, add the mayonnaise and wasabi. Stir and adjust with salt and pepper.
Recipes courtesy of Eleonora Badellino of Daidokoro Labo. You can find her at www.elydream.com and @everydayobento