This cold noodle dish derives its creaminess from soy milk and tahini, perfect for those looking for something rich, but not heavy. On a warm day, refresh yourself by digging into these tasty and vibrant noodles.
This dish is comprised of three main components: noodles, soy milk sauce, and toppings.
For the noodles, we recommend using somen or 100% soba noodles. Simply prepare according to package instructions and set aside.
The umami and nutty sauce is the star of the show. It starts with a simple broth of water, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and dashi powder, which is then combined with sesame oil, soy milk, tahini (sesame seed paste), and tobanjyan paste (spicy bean paste). The sauce will be slightly thick and mildly spicy with intense depth of flavor - the perfect complement to the crisp vegetable toppings. It contains no dairy products but is still super creamy, making it an excellent option for those with lactose intolerance.
This recipe includes fresh veggies such as okra, avocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and corn, but any salad vegetables can be used! For an extra dose of flavor and a serving of protein, we recommend topping the noodles with kimchi and canned tuna. However, feel free to swap ingredients in and out to your heart’s content! Other topping ideas include shredded cabbage, carrots, spinach, kabocha (pumpkin), tofu, and chicken.
To make this dish vegan, simply omit the tuna and use vegan kimchi, dashi, and tobanjyan paste. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped nuts and serve chilled.
Prep time: 5mins
Cook time 2mins
- 2 servings of somen noodles or soba noodles (we recommend 100% soba noodles)
- 2 okura
- ½ avocado (diced)
- 4 cherry tomato (halved)
- ¼ cucumber (diced)
- ½ cup corn
- Kimchi (as desired)
- Canned tuna (drained)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce*
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp soda bushi dashi powder*
- ½ cup of soy milk
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp tahini (optional)
- 1 tsp tobanjyan paste (optional)
* Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package
- Toasted sesame seed
- Any chopped nuts
- Boil the okra and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine the water, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and dashi powder in a pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Simmer for 5 mins then let cool to room temperautre. Mix in the soy milk, sesame oil, tahini and tobanjyan paste and place in the fridge.
- Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain and serve on a plate. top with all the okra, avocaod, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, corn, kimchi and tuna.
- Drizzle the desired amount of suace on top and sprinkle with toasted sesame seed and any nuts. Ready to be enjoyed!