Oyakodon (lit. parent-and-child rice bowl) is a popular type ofdonburi (rice bowl). The chicken (parent) and egg (child) are simmered in dashi and soy sauce then served on top of a hot bowl of rice.
- 200ml water
- ½ onion (sliced thinly)
- 150g chicken thigh (cut into 3cm pieces)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tspmetsuyu
- 2 eggs
- 200g cooked rice
- Choppednegi (green onion) (garnish)
- Put the water in a pot on medium heat. When boiling, add the onions and chicken.
- When the chicken has cooked, add the sugar, soy sauce, mirin, salt and mentsuyu. Bring to a boil. Break and whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add. Cover with a lid and turn off the heat.
- Place the cooked rice in a bowl and top with the cooked ingredients from step 2. Garnish with chopped negi.