Miso pickled shiso seeds add extra savory umami to cream cheese in this creative take on bruschetta. You can use classic toasted baguette slices for the base, or try a Japanese twist by using koya dofu (freeze-dried tofu which has been rehydrated then toasted). Fresh ripe tomatoes round out each bite of this delightful canapé.
- 2-4 pieces koya dofu* (can use the one in this package) or baguette slices
- 1 tomato (~200g) (diced)
- Dash ofKonbu Salt*
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 30g cream cheese
- 2-3 tspMiso Pickled Shiso Seeds*
- Chopped parsley (garnish)
- Put the koya dofu in a bowl and pour in enough water to cover. Leave for ~10 mins to restore. Squeeze to remove water and cut into ~5mm-1cm thickness.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread some butter on each piece of koya dofu (or baguette if using) and place on the aluminum foil. Bake in a toaster oven for ~4 mins until crispy.
- Separately in a small bowl, combine the diced tomato with konbu salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- In a different small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and miso pickled shiso seeds, and spread on the toasted koya dofu. Top with the seasoned diced tomato from step 3 and parsley to garnish.
*Available for single item purchase at our Market: Michi no Eki