- 4 small eggplants (360g) (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Oil for frying
- 150-200g ground pork or chicken
- 100g shimeji mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp doubanjiang (fermented bean paste)
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce*
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Place the eggplant in pan on medium heat with oil. Cover and cook. Turn the heat to low when the eggplant browns and cook for another 2 mins. Remove the eggplant and set aside.
- Fry the ground meat in a pan with oil on medium heat. Add the mushrooms when the meat is almost fully cooked and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the doubanjiang, sake, and 2/3 cup of water and boil.
- Mix in sugar and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 3 mins.
- Add the cooked eggplant and simmer for 1-2 mins.
- In a small bowl, mix the potato starch and water. Stir into the pan.
- Add sesame oil at the end for extra flavor, serve and enjoy!
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package