Kokuto is a special black sugar from Okinawa, Japan's southernmost tropical island. It's made only from local sugar cane juice which is boiled to create a nutritiously sweet, licorice sugar. Our Kokuto and Black Sesame Jam combines this local sugar with nutty black sesame and is the perfect addition to these Kokuto Butter Cream Cupcakes.
24 small cupcakes or 8 large cupcakes
- 70g softened unsalted butter
- 70g powdered sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- A little milk (about 50ml)
- In a bowl, beat together the softened butter and sugar until it's thick and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract and continue beating.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda, beating well.
- Gradually add the milk and mix until you get a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into lined muffin tins (24 for the mini cupcakes and 8 for the large ones), filling 2/3 full.
- In a preheated oven at 200C°, bake for 8-12 minutes for the mini cupcakes and 12-15 minutes for the large ones.
- 100g softened unsalted butter
- 80g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Kokuto and Black Sesame Jam from our July 2020 Okinawa themed Nourishing Essentials Care Package
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- In a bowl, beat together the softened butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and Kokuto and Black Sesame Jam until thick and fluffy.
- Add the black sesame seeds, mix well.
- Place the icing on the cooled cupcakes using a pastry bag.
- Add sesame seeds to garnish
Note: You can keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days.