Japanese curry (karēor カレー), which is more sweet than spicy, is the quintessential comfort food in Japan. This curry recipe is an easy way to reuse any leftover curry sauce to create a delicious and soothing udon noodle dish.
- 80-100g chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
- Oil for cooking
- 150g leftover curry sauce (about 2 ladlefuls)
- 5cmnegi (green onion) (cut into thin slices)
- 300-350mlkonbu dashi
- ½ tbsp soy sauce (
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 serving of udon noodles
- Pinch of katsuobushi
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- Choppednegi (green onion) (garnish)
- Cook the chicken in a pan on medium heat with oil then add the leftover curry sauce.
- Add the konbu dashi, soy sauce and salt. Bring to a boil and add the negi.
- Add the udon noodles (if adding dried noodles, simmer for 1-2 mins) and katsuobushi. Stir briefly and simmer for 3-4 mins. Add more soy sauce to taste if desired. Remove from heat.
- Combine the water and potato starch in a small bowl. Add to the curry a little bit at a time to thicken. Return to heat.
- When hot, serve in a bowl topped with chopped negi to garnish.