"Western" Veggie Soup with Dashi
Temperatures are dropping and now is the perfect time to enjoy soul warming Japanese dishes such as soups and nabes. Read a Japanese cookbook, and you’re bound to come across dashi, a soup stock or broth that is perhaps the quintessential Japanese ingredient.
- Dashi (try making your own or use an instant variety as per below)
- Sliced onions
- Butter or oil for sautéing
Mixed vegetables (frozen works fine if you don't have time!)
1. Sauté sliced onions in butter or oil.
2. Add 300mL of dashi. If using instant dashi, add 300 mL of water then the dashi. 3. Bring to a light boil.
4. Add your choice of mixed vegetables.
5. Pour in a bowl and enjoy while warming your soul!
About the author: Teni Wada appreciates the simplicity and versatility of Japanese cooking ingredients and enjoys recreating her mother-in-law's dishes. A foodie at heart, she is always on the lookout for seasonal snacks and drinks to share on Twitter (@wadateni). You can also find Teni Wada on Instagram (@wadateni) and her lifestyle blog, babykaiju.com where she documents motherhood in Japan.