Nothing says summer like a refreshing tomato caprese salad! Try this unique twist that combines Japanese ingredients and smoked island tofu with traditional ripe flavors.
- 1 tomato
- Smoked Island Tofu from our July Nourishing Essentials Care Package
- Shiso leaf (Japanese basil)
- 1 tsp soy sauce (available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package)
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pinches of salt
- Mix soy sauce, grated ginger and olive oil.
- Slice a tomato and smoked tofu into 1cm and decorate them on your plate alternatively.
- Sprinkle salt on 2.
- Drizzle 1 on 3.
Garnish shredded shiso leaf on top.
You can control the spiciness with the amount of ginger.
You can use coriander as a substitute for shiso leaf.
Recipe courtesy of Miwa's Japanese Cooking Class
Miwa was born in Kamakura. She spent one year in Texas, US and another year in California, US during high-school and university respectively. In 2016, due to her husband, Yuki’s study abroad, she spent one year in Cambridge, UK where she came up with the original idea of Japanese Cooking Class in Shinagawa & Kamakura. She is currently teaching at the biggest cooking studio in Japan while holding a class at home. She is the mother of two and a full-time worker. Always busy her food is not for tourists but for the taste of a Japanese mother.(See her Instagram for food pictures). If you want to know the a well-balanced, time-saving and delicious Japanese family cuisine, please join her lesson!
Qualification; Medicinal cooking.