Thistakikomi gohan (mixed rice) combines traditional Japanese flavors with seasonal vegetables to create a simple yet flavorful dish.
- 200mlshiitake dashi
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 3-4 dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated in plenty of water then sliced)
- Pinch of katsuobushi or 1 tsp dashi powder
- 2 cups of uncooked rice (300g) (washed and rinsed 3-4 times and drained)
- 200-250ml of water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Choppednegi (green onion) (garnish)
- Heat the shiitake dashi, sake, mirin and soy sauce in a pan. Add the rehydrated sliced shiitake mushrooms and simmer over low heat from 5 mins. Turn off the heat and add the katsuobushi/dashi powder. Let it sit for 1½ mins, remove the katsuobushi and let it cool slightly.
- If using a rice cooker, add the rice to the rice cooker pot then strain in the liquid from step 1. Add the extra water then add the strained shiitake mushrooms and the sesame oil. Mix gently then cook as per your rice cooker directions. If cooking on a stove top, add the rice to a pan then strain in the liquid from step 1. Add the strained shiitake mushrooms and the sesame oil. Mix gently, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and cook covered for 12-13 mins or until the liquid has completely absorbed. Remove the pot and let it steam for another 10 mins with the lid on.
- When the rice has finished cooking, fluff and mix from the bottom, and serve in bowls topped with chopped negi.