Takana adds a peppery taste and dash of color to this fried rice. For an added crunch, let the rice sit without stirring after step 5 so that it develops a golden, crispy crust on the bottom. The flavors will deepen when enjoyed as leftovers the next day.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2-3 thinly sliced scallions
- 400g cooked rice
- 1 tsp soy sauce*
- 1-2 tsp powdered dashi*(optional to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a frying pan, heat cooking oil on medium heat and add the egg. Scramble lightly until half cooked. Remove from heat.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tbsp sesame oil and fry the scallions.
- Add the takana and cook stirring until tender.
- Add the cooked rice and egg. Stir until combined.
- Add the soy sauce, powdered dashi if using, and salt and pepper (to taste). Stir well. Let sit for a crispy texture if desired.
- To finish, add 1 tsp of sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce. Fry for a moment to finish.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package