Sweet and savory, this open-faced sandwich is a satisfying snack or light meal that’s full of floral flavor and ginger spice.
- Oil for cooking
- 100g pork (sliced)
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2-3 tsp soy sauce*
- 1 tsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp organic ume vinegar pickled ginger
- 2 slices bread
- 2-3 tsp of mustard or mayonnaise
- Shredded cheese
- Optional negi (chopped) for garnish
Note: You can substitute 1 tbsp mirin for the sake and sugar.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan and add the pork. When cooked, mix in the sake, sugar, soy sauce and potato starch and cook until the sauce caramelizes on the pork.
- Separately, toast the bread. Once toasted, spread on the mustard or mayonnaise, add the caramelized pork from step 1, top with theOrganic Ume Vinegar Pickled Ginger and cheese. Put in a toaster oven for 5-6 mins until the cheese has melted. Top with chopped negi if desired.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package