“The flavors of this curry roux are so perfectly balanced that it’s hard to find anything wrong with it! I’ve kept this recipe super simple to highlight the sweetness of the Aomori apples and the smoky, tangy curry sauce. It’s absolutely delicious!” - Pickled Plum
- 3 tbsp neutral oil such as vegetable or grapeseed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and grated
- 250g baby potatoes or chopped russet potatoes
- 150g carrot, chopped
- 800ml water
- ½ red bell pepper
- 6 baby corn, chopped
- 1 package Japanese curry roux
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Cooked Japanese rice, to serve with
- In a medium to large pot over medium heat, add 2 tbsp of oil, onion, and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the water, stir, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining tbsp of oil to a pan over medium heat, and add the bell peppers and baby corn. Pan fry until the vegetables get a nice char, about 5 to 7 minutes, and turn the heat off. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Add the curry roux, oyster sauce, and spinach to the pot and stir until the curry sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat off and serve the curry with a side of white rice. Top with bell peppers and baby corn.
Recipe courtesy of our friend Pickled Plum