RECIPE: Fried Saba (Mackerel) and Broccoli with a Ketchup Soy Sauce
Saba (mackerel) is a very popular fish is Japanese cuisine. It has a light texture, is full of healthy omega-3 fatty acid and the skin has a crispy texture when fried. This dish balances the umami fish flavors with a tomato based ketchup soy sauce.
- 350g mackerel
- Salt and pepper
- Flour (to coat the mackerel)
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 cup broccoli (diced)
- 1 tomato (medium-sized, diced)
- 1/2 tsp potato starch
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce*
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Season mackerel with salt and pepper. Wait for 10 mins. Wipe away any excess water and sprinkle with flour.
- Add oil to a pan and fry the mackerel on medium heat with the skin side down. When the skin browns, flip the mackerel and move to the side of the pan. Add broccoli to the center of pan.
- When the whole mackerel turns brown, add the tomato and fry everything together.
- Add the seasoning ingredients and mix well.
- Add the potato starch and water and stir until thick. Serve hot and enjoy!
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package