Chirashizushi, or chirashi sushi, translates to “scattered sushi” and is often served on special occasions in Japan including New Year’s Day. It’s typically made with a bowl of sushi rice topped with sashimi but variations include different types of proteins such as tofu and any combination of fresh seasonal vegetables.
- 230g cooked rice
- 10g (⅓ package) Vegan Sushi Mix
- 50ml water
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp soy sauce*
Vinegar for sushi rice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
Optional additional toppings
- Shredded nori (seaweed), thinly sliced red peppers, snap peas, etc.
- Soak the contents of Vegan Sushi Mix in a pot of 150-200ml water for about 5 mins. Remove from the water and squeeze to remove any excess water. Be sure to save 50ml of the water.
- Combine the 50ml of water from step 1 and the squeezed vegan sushi mix with the sugar, salt and soy sauce. Simmer on low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Separately, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and mix into the cooked rice. Drain the seasoned Vegan Sushi Mix from step 2 and mix into the rice.
- Split into two rice bowls and top with additional toppings if desired.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package