RECIPE: Shio Koji Chicken with Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
If Shio Koji is something you have never heard of before, get ready to fall in love with its taste and versatility. It can be used as a salt substitute and also enhances the flavors of the ingredients it’s mixed with. It also makes for a great marinade as you will see in this recipe.
- 300 g chicken breast
- 1 tbsp Shio Koji
- 50 g green beans
- ½ sweet potato
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sake
- Chop the chicken breast into bite size pieces and massage with Shio Koji using your hands.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 1 hour in the fridge in a closed container.
- Cut the green beans into pieces of the same length. Heat a drizzle of oil in a pot and cook the beans for 4-5 mins until they are tender, adding just a pinch of salt.
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes and cook for about 15 minutes (depending on the size) in a pan with a drizzle of oil, turning them occasionally so that they do not burn.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and cook in a heated pan with oil until fully cooked and golden brown.
- Add the cooked green beans, sweet potatoes and sake. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then serve.
Recipes courtesy of Eleonora Badellino of Daidokoro Labo. You can find her at www.elydream.com and @everydayobento