These crispy seaweed fritters are a popular dish found throughout Okinawa.
- 200g mozuku (roughly 5g of Dried Mozuku reconstituted in water and drained)
- 40 g cake flour
- Oil for frying
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 100ml water
- 100g cake flour
- 1 tsp soda bushi dashi powder*
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the Dried Mozuku in water to reconstitute then drain. Place the reconstituted mozuku in a bowl and cover with cake flour.
- In a separate bowl mix all the ingredients for the batter, then add the floured mozuku from step 1. Mix to coat the mozuku well.
- Add about 4cm of frying oil into a pan and heat to 180°C. Slowly add small scoops of the battered mozuku from step 2 into the heated oil. Deep fry for 1 min, then flip to deep fry the other side. Remove when golden brown. Place on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and serve.