Kokoro (written as 心 in kanji) translates into “heart” in Japanese, yet has a much deeper meaning. It represents the “spirit”, “soul” and “emotion”, and is the foundation of each of our Kokoro Care Packages.
Our adventure began during one of Lillian's frequent visits to Tokyo. A mutual friend thought we would hit it off given our similar backgrounds in finance and our passion for health and fitness. We met over one of our favorite activities (enjoying Japanese food, of course) and quickly realized we had so much more in common.
We both truly believe that the food we eat plays an important role in nourishing our bodies and determining our health and wellness. We also have first-hand experience in the positive benefits of eating a Japanese inspired diet and want to share these incredible foods with the rest of world. Our desire and commitment to delivering the highest quality ingredients while showcasing the unique and delicious flavors of Japan was how the idea of Kokoro Care Packages began.
We are so excited to have you as part of the Kokoro community and are looking forward to getting to know you as we share our passion for healthy food and Japanese culture.
Nice to meet you and see you soon!
Lillian and Aki
- I'm half-Japanese (my mother is from Osaka), half-English, 100% Canadian and living in Los Angeles. An international woman of mystery!
- My middle name is Hanako which is a traditional Japanese name meaning "flower child".
- I lived in Kashiwazaki-shi, Niigata-ken for two years teaching English on the JET Programme. Niigata is famous for making the best sake in Japan and for its huge snowfalls. I quickly learnt that warm sake is the best way to stay warm in winter!
- I'm a bit of a math nerd and was ranked #1 in North America for 14 years while taking Kumon as a child.
- I'm a terrible singer yet love to hold the mic in karaoke. Apologies to your ears...
- Ok, I admit it. No matter how healthy natto is, I still haven't been able to convince myself to like it!
I am half Okinawan (half Saitama and half Okinawa) and was born and raised in Tokyo. Ishigaki island in Okinawa, which is located next to Taiwan, is my second hometown.
I'm a fitness competitor and have represented Japan on the global stage (yay!).
I love books, coffee, the gym and of course, all types of FOOD (except for carrots)!
- Though I started to learn English with the goal of studying in the US, I actually ended up in Australia. I still dream of living in US someday. Someone, please take me there!
- I worked in finance as a currency option trader and software testing lead.