This refreshing dish showcases the crisp flavors of its fresh ingredients. Best enjoyed when tomatoes and basil are in season.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Water for boiling
- 4 pieces of shiso, basil or spring onion (chopped)
- Desired amount tosazu (seasoned vinegar)*
- Sesame seeds* (optional)
- Yuzu kosho* (optional)
- Remove the stem from the tomatoes and cut a shallow X on the bottom. Place in a pot of boiling water and remove after ~30 secs or once the skin at the X starts to peel back. Put in a bowl of ice water for about 5 mins or until the peel starts to come off. Peel the tomatoes by hand.
- Place the whole tomato on a serving dish and garnish with shiso, basil or spring onions.
- Pour a generous amount of Tosazu on top and serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or a dollop of yuzu kosho if desired.
*Available for single item purchase at our Market: Michi no Eki