More creamy than chunky, you may be surprised to hear that potato salad is a popular side dish in Japan. Ume Konbu Cha provides salty yet savory springtime flavors to this classic dish.
- 100g chicken breast
- 1 tsp sake
- 4-5gwakame (kelp) (optional topping)
- ¼ onion
- 3 small potatoes
- 1 tspUme Konbu Cha
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly sliced green onion (for garnish)
- Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and sake. Cook in a pan over medium heat until fully cooked. Cool slightly and shred with a fork.
- Soak the wakame (if adding) with cold water to reconstitute. Drain and roughly chop.
- Thinly slice the onion and put in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss to mix well.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cover loosely and microwave for 7 mins (600W). Mash with a fork.
- Mix the cooked chicken, wakame (if adding), onions, mashed potatoes, Ume Konbu Cha, and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.