RECIPE: Shiitake Mushroom Furikake Dashi Ochazuke
Ochazuke is a traditional Japanese comfort food which combines two essential Japanese ingredients - rice and tea. The dish is made by pouring hot tea over cooked rice. From this, you can add toppings like salmon, scallions, wasabi, and sesame seeds, or use different types of tea. This recipe has a rich savory flavor from the nutty brown rice tea and the Shiitake Mushroom Furikake. Enjoy as a light meal or snack, or at the end of a meal.
Servings: 1 serving
- 1 tbsp dashi powder*
- 140 ml water
- 60ml brown rice tea
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce*
- 180g cooked rice
- 2-3 tbsp Shiitake Mushroom Furikake
- Combine the dashi powder and water in a pot and gently warm over medium heat. Be careful not to bring to a boil or overheat as the dashi will taste bitter.
- Brew a cup of brown rice tea with 1 brown rice tea bag and approximately 60 ml of water (adjust to your preferred strength.)
- Mix the dashi and tea together. Add salt and soy sauce (adjust to your preferred strength.)
- Put the cooked rice in a bowl. Sprinkle with furikake. Pour the dashi and tea mixture over the top and enjoy served hot!
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package