Oyakodon is one of Japan's most popular rice bowls, or donburi. The literal translation come from oya which means parent, ko which means child and don which bowl. It's a play on words as its main ingredients are chicken and egg.
For those looking for a low carb alternative, you can try our Low Carb/High Protein Oyakodon which provides all the comfort and protein without the high carb rice.
- 200g chicken breast or thigh (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 egg
- Donburi sauce from our May Nourishing Essentials Care Package
- Handful of chopped spring onion
- Dash of Shichimi Togarashi from our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package
- Marinate the chicken in a bowl of the donburi sauce in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the chicken and onions in a frying pan on medium heat until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Slowly pour the beaten egg over the chicken and onions until evenly spread. Cook on medium-low heat until the egg is almost completely cooked, but still a bit runny.
- Remove from heat and serve with a dash of shichimi togarashi to taste.