Ponzu is a citrus based soy sauce that is tart and with a hint of umami. It is most commonly used as a dipping sauce for everything from tuna steak to hot pots, or to add a splash of flavor to many dishes. It's a staple ingredient in most Japanese pantries.
- ½ cup soy sauce (available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package)
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange or grapefruit juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 1 piece konbu (dried kelp)
- ½ cup dried bonito flakes (skip if you are looking for a vegan variation)
- Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake together.
- Allow to sit in the fridge for at least a day (a week if possible) to make sure the sauce develops a depth of flavor. Add a splash to your favorite dishes or use as a dipping sauce.