Ume Shio Koji Chicken Karaage
Chicken karaage has been everyone’s favorite. Even when I try to avoid deep-fried dishes, this dish is exceptional, and I always surrender to karaage. By cherishing both ume and shiokoji, umami is enhanced. If you like ume flavor, you can add a little bit more ume liquid.
- 400g chicken thigh
- 1 tbsp of Liquid Organic Plum Paste from our March 2019 Nourishing Essentials Care Package
- 1 2/3 tbsp of Shio Koji from our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package8 Nourishing Essentials and Winter 2018 Seasonal Delights Care Packages
- 3 tbsp of potato starch
- 3 tbsp of corn starch
- Cut chicken into large bite size pieces.
- Season chicken with liquid organic plum paste and shiokoji and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot. Mix potato and corn starch in a bowl.
- Coat chicken with the mixture of potato and corn starch. Deep-fry until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Mayuko Okada of Mayuko's Little Kitchen
Mayuko's class is well suited for people who would like to enjoy local Japanese culture and a homestyle Japanese meal cooked in an actual Japanese home. It's an entirely different experience from a "studio-type" cooking class, and we are sure you will enjoy the personal attention.
Mayuko's Little Kitchen has won the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for each of the past three years, awarded to only the top 10% of service providers. She was chosen as one of the TOP 10 activities in all of Japan ("Foreign visitors' favorite experiences/tours in Japan 2018" on Trip Advisor). Her cooking class has also been featured on national TV programs.