RECIPE: Sakura Butter Cookies
Celebrate spring and Sakura season in Japan with these buttery floral Sakura cookies. The perfect treat while viewing the blossoms and enjoying hanami!
Servings: 16 cookies
- 30g of Salt Pickled Sakura (featured in our April Sakura-inspired Care Package)
- 80g of unsalted butter (softened)
- 50g of sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 150g of flour
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the Salt Pickled Sakura in water for at least 30 minutes to remove the saltiness.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the sugar to the butter and mix.
- Add the egg yolk and continue to mix.
- Gradually sift in the flour and the pinch of salt. Mix until the dough is smooth.
- Remove the sakura from the water. Gently squeeze to remove excess water and pat dry. Mince half into tiny pieces and mix into the dough. Put the other half aside.
- Shape dough into a cylindrical log about 1.5 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove and unwrap the dough from the fridge. Slice into ¼ inch pieces and place on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Gentle press the remaining sakura onto the top of the cookie rounds.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the outer edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy with a cup of the Sakura Green Tea!