RECIPE: Low Carb/High Protein Oyakodon (Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)
Oyakodon is one of Japan's most popular rice bowls, or donburi. The literal translation come from oya which means parent, ko which means child and don which bowl. It's a play on words as its main ingredients are chicken and egg.
For those looking for a low carb alternative, you can try our Low Carb/High Protein Oyakodon which provides all the comfort and protein without the high carb rice.
- 200g chicken breast or thigh (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 egg
- Donburi sauce from our May Nourishing Essentials Care Package
- Handful of chopped spring onion
- Dash of Shichimi Togarashi from our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package
- Marinate the chicken in a bowl of the donburi sauce in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the chicken and onions in a frying pan on medium heat until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Slowly pour the beaten egg over the chicken and onions until evenly spread. Cook on medium-low heat until the egg is almost completely cooked, but still a bit runny.
- Remove from heat and serve with a dash of shichimi togarashi to taste.