RECIPE: Niku (Beef) Udon
There is nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of noodles. Niku Udon (肉うどん) is a classic and truly delicious dish, combining traditional Japanese flavors into one soothing bowl of noodles!
- 1/2 negi (green onion)
- 200 g thin slices of beef
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 tbsp Marunaka’s Brewing Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 servings of udon noodles
- Hontaka Shichimi Togarashi to taste
For the soup:
- In a pot, add 500 ml of water and dissolve the Soda Bushi Dashi Powder together with Marunaka’s Brewing Soy Sauce and mirin. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat.
- Cut the negi diagonally and the meat into bite size pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil. Stir fry the meat until it is well cooked. Lower the heat and add Marunaka’s Brewing Soy Sauce and sugar to caramelize the meat. (Keep an eye on the soy sauce because it can burn easily)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the udon according to the instructions on the packaging. Strain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the soup to the bowl of noodles and top with the caramelized meat and negi.
- For a touch of spice, add a dash of Hontaka Shichimi Togarashi!
Recipes courtesy of Eleonora Badellino of Daidokoro Labo. You can find her at www.elydream.com and @everydayobento