RECIPE: Japanese Red Vinegar Chirashizushi (Sushi Rice Bowl)
Chirashizushi (literally “scattered sushi”) is served for special occasions in Japan including New Year’s. It’s made from a bed of sushi rice adorned with a variety of toppings such as egg, fresh vegetables and seafood/sashimi. This recipe includes kinshi tamago (shredded egg crepes) and kinpira gobo (braised carrot & burdock root), but you can also add steamed renkon (lotus root), steamed green beans, cooked shrimp, nori (seaweed) and pickle ginger as pictured, or any of your favorite seasonal vegetables and protein.
- 175g cooked rice
- 2½ tbsp Red Vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (adjust to your preference)
Kinshi Tamago (Shredded Egg Crepes) Topping
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp oil
Kinpira Gobo (Braised Carrot & Burdock Root) Topping
- ½ gobo (burdock root) (peel, wash and julienne)
- ½ carrot (peel, wash and julienne)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce*
- 1 tsp dashi powder* mixed in ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp sake
To make Sushi Rice
- Combine the cooked rice with the vinegar and sugar. Stir gently to combine.
- Pack the rice into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
To make Kinshi Tamago (Shredded Egg Crepes) Topping
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil. When hot, pour in some of the egg mix, spreading with a round movement of the pan until you have a paper thin layer. Cook for less than 1 minute. Be sure not to overcook. Turn over and cook the other side for a few seconds. Remove from pan. Repeat for all the egg mix.
- Roll the egg crepes and julienne into really thin strips. Add on top of the bowl of Sushi Rice.
To make Kinpira Gobo (Braised Carrot & Burdock Root) Topping
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the gobo followed by the carrots. Stir fry for 3 to 4 mins. Add mirin, soy sauce, dashi powder in water, sugar, and sake and continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated. Add on top of the bowl of Sushi Rice.
*Available in our Creative Beginnings: Redefining “Wa” Care Package