RECIPE: Japanese Poke Bowl
Poke has become an incredibly popular dish in the west. Originally from Hawaii, this dish is heavily influenced by Japanese cuisine and is light, refreshing and easy to make. It combines sashimi (raw fish) with fresh seasonal ingredients and is topped with a soy sauce and sesame vinaigrette. Bring the taste of the island to you home!
- 150g diced raw seafood (we used tuna, shrimp (cooked), salmon, squid, Japanese amberjack)
- 1 large egg (boiled and diced) or 1 serving of egg tamagoyaki (diced)
- 1 Japanese cucumber (or 1/3 of an English cucumber) (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- 2 small bowls or 1 larger bowl of cooked rice
- 1 tbsp fish roe
- Dollop of wasabi
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (we recommend Marunaka's soy sauce from our Creative Beginnings: Redefining "Wa" Care Package)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tbsp pressed garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the raw seafood, cooked egg, cucumber and avocado in a bowl then mix in the sauce from step 1 and then place on top of the bowls of rice.
- Finish with the fish roe and a dollop of wasabi if desired.