RECIPE: Japanese Curry Rice
Japanese curry rice (karē raisu or カレーライス) is the quintessential comfort food in Japan. More sweet than spicy, this dish is easy to make and will quickly become your favorite home cooked meal.
- 200g of meat (chicken, beef or pork)
- 2 onions
- 1 potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 600-800ml of water
- 1 package of JAPANESE CURRY ROUX FEATURING APPLES FROM AOMORI PREFECTURE
- 6 servings of cooked rice
- Cut the meat, potato, onions, and carrots into big, 1-2 inch chunks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pot. Cook the onions first then add the meat.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the potato and carrots. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes..
- Add 600-800 mL of water depending on the desired thickness of the curry sauce (less water will result in a thicker sauce).
- Simmer gently until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the package of curry roux. Stir to dissolve.
- Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot on top of rice.