This hiyajiru (literally chilled soup) has a base of ground sesame seeds, miso and Japanese horse mackerel, thinned with dashi stock. A generous helping of cucumbers, freshly cooked udon noodles, and crisp scallions are added for a filling yet refreshing dish. Toss in a few ice cubes just before serving for an extra chill!
Servings: 2 servings
- 200g tofu
- ½ thinly sliced cucumber
- 2-3 thinly sliced scallions
- ½ package of Yamae Hiyajiru Soup
- 300-400ml of water
- 200-300g cooked rice (or substitute somen noodles cooked as per the directions on the package)
- Drain and tightly wrap the tofu in paper towels. Drain for 15 mins. Break into rough chunks using your hands.
- In a bowl, pour half the package of Yamae Hiyajiru Soup (90g). Add 300-400ml of cold water.
- Add the tofu, cucumber, and scallions.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Spoon over freshly cooked rice or somen noodles.